For those of us who strive to keep kosher, doing so at home is nothing compared to the challenge of doing so while travelling. Though it may be challenging at first, there’s no reason you can’t keep kosher wherever you go. It takes extra planning, but it’s certainly possible. Some tips to help you:
- Order ahead – If travelling by plane, let the airline or reservationist know about your dietary restrictions at the time of booking. When you print your boarding passes, verify that they documented your special request. Kosher meals are generally prepared by request. Unless you order before your flight, chances are there will be no kosher option on the spot.
- Specialty Travel Services – A great way to avoid hassle is to book a trip through an agency that specializes in Jewish retreats, such as B&D Travel and Majestic Passover. They take into consideration the need for kosher meals throughout the trip.
- If eating a hot meal at a restaurant, ask that your food be cooked in aluminum foil and served to you in that same piece of foil.
- Baked potatoes are a great way to eat kosher, but be sure to check that any butter used is labeled with a hechsher.
- If you are staying in a hotel, try to book one with a refrigerator in the guestroom. It is much easier to go shopping and prepare your own meals than it is to eat out. Your stock of food is great in a pinch when kosher options are unavailable.
- Kosher Restaurant Websites – A fantastic travel tool is to use the many websites available that list kosher-friendly restaurants in a given area.
With just a little thought and determination, staying kosher while on vacation doesn’t have to be difficult. The tips above help ensure you enjoy your vacation while keeping kosher at the same time. If you’re catering a party or event and need to order kosher, Zayde’s Kosher Catering is one of the top kosher catering company’s in Orlando. Call us today at (407) 996-0250 to learn more about our menu and services.